Things I like about Michigan, in list format:
- The state is shaped like a glove. Side Bonus: this makes it incredibly easy to find on a map.
- We are surrounded by enormous, beautiful lakes that account for 20% of the world’s freshwater supply.
- We have beaches without the hassles of jelly fish, sharks, sting rays, giant attacking octopi, or angry dolphins.
- We have rolling farmland, but the monotony is broken up by beautiful groves of old trees.
- We have beautiful groves of old trees
- We have beautiful groves of new trees.
- We have Amish and Mennonite communities.
- We have the largest population of Muslims in America, concentrated in Dearborn.
- We have Mackinac Island/Bridge.
- We have dunes.
- We are not just one, but two peninsulas.
- Our winters may be brutal, and our summers may be brutal, but we have Spring and Fall as well, and they are just lovely.
Despite so many people moving away to bigger and shinier states, I like Michigan. I’ve been other places, with nicer cities and lower unemployment, but nothing feels quite like being back here.